Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Houston Day 3

Yesterday was a pretty chill day, but I think it was my favorite day so far. My run was not that great in the morning, but at least it was something? And the neighborhoods around my friend's apartment are pretty cute, even if they're surrounded by a giant interstate highway and Queenburger (a former Dairy Queen).

While my friend was at work all day, the 3 of us embarked on a journey to Galveston Island to hang out at the beach. It took us about an hour, but I was kind of surprised with my abilities to drive pretty well through all the crazy traffic. I guess living/driving in Albuquerque paid off?

We arrived and found parking pretty easy right along the beach and even though there were a lot of people, it really wasn't that crowded and was pretty awesome. If you're looking to go down there for beach/Pleasure Pier, I would definitely recommend a weekday, but if you're looking to also go ride the rides and things at the Pleasure Pier, don't go on Monday or Tuesday. We've got plans to go to the Kemah Boardwalk with our CityPass (actually a pretty good deal) later this week, so it didn't bother us too much. We wanted to go to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., so we did and were kind of disappointed. The prices are crazy expensive so we got appetizers for lunch instead. They were tasty, but not really worth it. I wish we could have found some little local seafood place, but we didn't have much time.

We came back into Houston and went to a little Vietnamese place for dinner near my friend's apartment and it was really good! If you're ever in the Lazy Brook/Timbergrove area, check out Dragon Kitchen and hook yourself up with some Pho Tai and a Vietnamese coffee. We also got to watch Dancing with the Stars (meh) on an old school big screen (a little cooler than meh) but who I assume was the mom/owner was a very nice and funny lady. I'd definitely recommend it, and they also have Chinese food as well.

We came home, watched Geek and Sundry's TableTop with Wil Wheaton to teach my friends Munchkin and we embarked on what was the longest game I've ever played. Seriously, it was almost 4 hours (years) long and it was more because we were super-interpreting the rules...and we ended up being totally off on some stuff, which resulted in a much longer game. We still had a great time though! Munchkin is amazing and we're going to go find a game store and buy a couple of decks to make it a little more interesting. More to come!









No comments:

Post a Comment